Suffer from insomnia or hot flashes that keeps you awake at night?
The issue could probably be your pillow. Replace your regular pillow with a cooling pillow and find yourself falling asleep faster, sleeping more deeply, and waking up with more energy.
Many people suffer from sleep disorders or find it hard to get to sleep quickly to get enough sleep during the night.
For many of us, busy schedules demand that we fall asleep fast in order to have a good rest and relax our minds. Lack of deep sleep can make you anxious and irritable, and it can also affect the way you look.
Studies show that a good cooling pillow will help you get to sleep faster, but keeping your pillow case in the freezer only works for the first part of the night. You will soon be awake and flipping your pillow to try to get to the “cool side.”
Luckily, there are many best cooling pillows for night sweats and hot flashes on the market today that can help you stay cool all night long.
Table of Contents
- How to Choose the Best Pillows For Night Sweats
- Best Cooling Pillow For Hot Sleepers Reviews
- 1. Sleep Restoration Gel Pillow – (2 Pack Queen)
- 2. Penguin Cooling Pillow Mat 12.2 x 22 in
- 3. Beans72 Organic Buckwheat Pillow – Japanese Size
- 4. Mediflow Original Waterbase Pillow
- 5. Iso-Cool Memory Foam Pillow
- 6. Gel’O Cool Pillow Mat 11 x 22″ – Instant Cooling and Comfort
- 7. Sobakawa Buckwheat Pillow
- 8. Classic Brands Reversible Cool Gel and Memory Foam Pillow
- 9. Sleep Innovations Reversible Gel Memory Foam
- 10. ViscoSoft ARCTIC GEL CONTOUR Pillow – Cooling Gel
- Types of Cooling Pillows
- How Long Can a Cooling Pillow Stay Cool?
How to Choose the Best Pillows For Night Sweats
In order to choose the best cooling pillows, as well as other types of pillows and in order for them to be the best fit for you one of the main things that you are required to take into consideration before making a purchase is the position you sleep in. Of course, people sleep in different positions, but there is one that dominates. If you are not sure about it, then we advise you to spend some nights so as to find out your dominating sleeping position.
Note: For that purpose, simply try all the positions, and if you stay on one position without getting tired for over an hour or two, then that is your position. Also keep in mind the position you wake up in.
Here is what you need to know depending on the type of your sleeping position:
- Back Sleeper: If you sleep on your back, then thinner pillows are what you need. They won’t let your head to be thrown too far forward.
- Side Sleeper: If you are sleeping on either of your sides, then you would need a firmer pillow, one that will fill in the space between your ear and outside shoulder.
- Stomach Sleeper: In case of you being a stomach sleeper, then we recommend you to find a pillow that is thin and flat. Mostly, this position might not even require a pillow under the head, but make sure to have one under your stomach, to prevent you from lower back pain.
To sum up, in order to buy the best cooling pillow for yourself and ensure a comfortable and healthy sleep, here are some features you need to consider before your purchase, regardless of the type of pillow:
- Comfort: Try out the pillow before buying. Comfort is what you should look for in any kind of pillow because no matter how many innovative features it might have, if it is not the right one for you, then it won’t work out well.
- Breathability: Make sure you don’t feel too warm and don’t sweat at nights. Pillows are to contribute to sound sleep and not insomnia. Check out the quality air flow in your pillow.
- Easy Care: Some pillows are machine washable; some are not washable at all. Make sure the pillow you choose is washable, especially if you are allergic.
- Removable Cover: Here is another thing from the cleaning aspect. Removing your pillow cover and washing it is utterly comfortable and hygienic.
- Warranty: Make sure your pillow comes with a minimum of 30 up to 90 days warranty.
Best Cooling Pillow For Hot Sleepers Reviews
1. Sleep Restoration Gel Pillow – (2 Pack Queen)
Our search for the best pillow that keeps you cool at night brought us to this Sleep Restoration Gel Pillow. It’s a plush gel-filled pillow that is designed and tailored for the ultimate sleep comfort. Whether you’re a side sleeper, back sleeper, or stomach sleeper, you’ll enjoy the cooling ability of this premier pillow. The materials inside are perfectly measured and put together to avoid any shifting of the pillows density. This gives you an incredibly comfortable sleep. People who suffer from night sweats can enjoy a cool night’s sleep and wake up to a dry pillow. No more wet, pillow and hot, sweaty head.
Sleeping with a pillow that cools your head creates an optimum sleeping environment. Although it cannot prevent sweating at night due to hormones, medications, or other medical conditions, this pillow will absorb the heat and moisture your body gives off, leaving you cool and dry. Sleep Restoration Gel Pillows are hypoallergenic and resist mold, dust, and mildew. No allergens or chemicals are used when making these pillows, so people with allergies and asthma can rest assured they won’t have any reactions to the material or fabric.
- The Sleep Restoration Gel-Filled Pillow is made from super plush and soft material
- These stay cool pillows are designed to stay in place according to your head’s position
- Materials used for these luxurious pillows are allergen free and mildew resistant
- The fabric used for the Sleep Restoration pillows is chosen for its stain resistance
- Pillows are machine washable!
- Can flatten out, making your head sink into the pillow
2. Penguin Cooling Pillow Mat 12.2 x 22 in
The Penguin Cooling Pillow Mat is a perfect addition to your regular pillow. The mat, made from the best materials and finished with durable seams, conforms to your pillow shape and keeps you cool. A one-piece, specially-designed gel insert doesn’t need water and remains smooth unlike others that become lumpy. The cover is made from a cotton blend, giving it a soft, comforting feel. This cooling gel pillow mat alleviates the hot sweaty affects of menopause, prescription medications, diabetes, and many other conditions causing your neck and head to become hot and sweaty.
If you need a longer cooling period at night, place the Penguin Cooling Pillow Mat in the refrigerator for an hour before you go to bed. Put the mat either under your pillowcase or on top, and enjoy a night free of wrestling to find a cool spot on your pillow. The mat folds up so you can take it on trips, camping, in your RV and even as a back rest to cool you when you fly on an airplane.
- Folds up for easy storage and traveling
- Propriety cooling gel inside is formed into one piece, eliminating ridges or bumps
- The pillow mat’s size will fit within the width of any pillow
- Thin and soft, this cooling gel mat can be placed inside your pillowcase or on top
- The durable seams ensure no rips or tears
- May not remain cool all night.
3. Beans72 Organic Buckwheat Pillow – Japanese Size
This Beans72 Organic Buckwheat Pillow is a unique mixture of authentic Japanese craftsmanship, organic materials, and natural comfort. The unbleached cotton cover has a zipper to adjust the amount of buckwheat hulls to fit the contour of your neck and head. This flexible positioning allows for a custom firmness and support where you need it most. Side sleeper’s will find the buckwheat hulls are perfect for making adjustments to aide in relieving the pain of a sore rotator cuff caused by a regular pillow. The hulls form around your shoulder to remove any pressure points.
The unbleached cover for this therapeutic cooling pillow can be machine washed, but you must remove the buckwheat hulls, replacing them when done. The natural ability of the organic, buckwheat hulls to lift your neck and head to your preferred position and provide natural airflow keeps you cool and dry all night.
- Made with 100% natural, organic, triple air-cleaned, buckwheat hull filling
- Cover is made with 100% unbleached cotton fabric
- The cover can be machine washed
- These are authentic Japanese pillows made by Yumiko Oshima, a native of Tokyo
- All materials and the buckwheat hulls are handpicked and inspected
- The buckwheat hulls can be uncomfortable for some people
4. Mediflow Original Waterbase Pillow
This unique stay cool pillow is made with a built-in water pouch on the bottom that stays intact for consistent support. On top of the thin water pouch is 5 inches of hypoallergenic fibers made from polyester. The soft fill and water pouch make a perfect combination that provides smart support for your neck and head. Women who are experiencing night sweats from menopause will find relief from this ‘always cool’ pillow.
Many other pillows flatten after time, but the soft fill and sealed water pouch prevent a sagging pillow and adjusts to keep your neck and head cradled as you move while you’re sleeping. The 100% cotton cover can be kept as is, or you can use an additional pillowcase. Anytime you have hot flashes or uncomfortable night sweats that cause interrupted sleep, you aren’t getting a deep rest. The Mediflow® Waterbase® Pillow holds up every night, keeping you comfortable, cool, and dry.
- This pillow can be adjusted to create any level of firmness or softness needed
- The Mediflow® Waterbase® adjusts as you move to maintain the right support
- Made from 100% cotton
- Water pouch at the bottom will keep the pillow fluffy with no flattening
- Pillow is Machine washable
- Some pillows have developed leaks from the bottom water pouch
5. Iso-Cool Memory Foam Pillow
The Iso-Cool pillow is made with a 100% cotton cover that is woven with Outlast Adaptive Comfort material. This fabric contains microscopic Phase Change Material, (PCM) beads that can sense your body’s temperature and determine if you’re too warm or too cold. If you’re experiencing a hot, sweaty head while sleeping due to diabetes, sleep apnea, steroids, or any other reason, and need a therapeutic pillow to maintain a comfortable body temperature, the PSM technology is the answer to sleepless nights.
For support of your neck and head, the Iso-Cool pillow is filled with spiral-spun polyester and soft Visco-elastic foam to create a mixture that gives you a customized shape as you sleep. With the airy design of the filling and the Outlast Adaptive Comfort fabric cover, you know you’ll sleep well and wakeup refreshed.
- Has an elegant, gusseted design that provides the most comfort for side sleepers
- 100% cotton cover is made with microscopic PCM beads that absorb heat
- The Visco-elastic memory foam filling provides perfect support and comfort
- The smart design and materials sense hot and cold to regulate your body temperature
- Some of the newer models aren’t as high quality as the previous versions
6. Gel’O Cool Pillow Mat 11 x 22″ – Instant Cooling and Comfort
At times, a stay cool pillow may not fit your particular sleep needs. If you’re not willing to experiment with different cooling pillows, a Gel’O Cool Pillow Mat is a great alternative. One of the best cooling pillow mats available, this mat will absorb the heat your body puts out and cool you down so you can sleep more restful. The gel inside is a safe, medical-grade gel that will not spill out of the mat is ripped open. If you do come into contact with the gel, there is no risk of toxicity.
The mat will stay soft and supple down to 14 deg. F/-10 deg. C so that it can easily conform to any part of the body that needs requirement.
This cooling mat will fit within any pillowcase and is wider than most other products. No matter how much you move during the night, the mat will keep the firmness of your pillow without adding or taking away from the support. The Gel’O Cool Pillow Mat is versatile; place it in the freezer if you need a cool pack for an injury or microwave it when you need heat. Find relief from a fever by cooling the mat in the freezer for an hour and then laying your head on it to absorb the cool temperature.
- Pillow mat is filled with a medical-grade substance that will not leak
- Soft enough to allow your pillow to provide the same support with or without the mat
- Doubles as an ice pack for injuries or a heat pack when micro-waved
- The Gel’O Cool Pillow Mat is wider than other cooling mats on the market
- Made with soft material to use either under your pillowcase or on top
- Does not remain cool after it absorbs you’re body’s heat
7. Sobakawa Buckwheat Pillow
Oriental medicine teaches that the most important element of a healthy, restful sleep is having a cool head and warm feet. They refer to this theory as “ZU-KAN-SOKU-NETSU” and recommend 100% buckwheat hull-filled pillows to achieve this proper sleep. A buckwheat pillow is still the most used pillow in Japan and is touted for its cooling and restful properties. With the cotton cover and the natural buckwheat hulls, this cool pillow is durable and allows for maximum air circulation while you sleep.
Buckwheat hulls are the small, hard outer shell that protects buckwheat kernels. They give to the shape of your shoulders and head to relieve pressure points, soothe tight muscles, and prevent a stiff neck and shoulders. Air cleaned buckwheat hulls that are free of dust are hypoallergenic so allergy sufferers can rest without any reactions to chemicals found in standard pillows. The Sobakawa Buckwheat Pillow is a natural cooling contour pillow.
- Buckwheat pillows have been used widely throughout the Orient for centuries
- The buckwheat hulls automatically shape themselves to your head and neck
100% soft cotton cover
- Buckwheat hulls provide a cooling sleep to prevent insomnia, headache, and a stiff neck
- Promotes a cool neck and head for the most restful sleep
- Not machine washable
8. Classic Brands Reversible Cool Gel and Memory Foam Pillow
Choosing the best configuration of a pillow with cooling system properties is an important task when your sleep is interrupted by a sweaty, hot head and neck. The pillow that fits your neck and head curves to eliminate gaps and pinch points should also have cooling properties for the most restorative sleep. A full night’s sleep is conducive to good health, concentration, memory, and reaction time. While your pillow has to mold to your head, it has to also fill in the area between your neck and the surface of your bed.
The Reversible Cool Gel Memory Foam pillow keeps your head at the correct height when you’re sleeping and allows for good alignment of your spine. But the best feature by far is the ability to choose which side to use; the bubbled surface cool gel side dissipates the heat from your body and leaves you cooler and dry. Along with the memory foam insides, the combination ensures a restful night. Use the memory foam side if you don’t need a ‘cool down’ pillow. This pillow has the options you need to customize it for your most restful sleep.
- Reversible for cooling on warm nights and warming on cool nights
- Soft but durable memory foam keeps its shape night after night
- The five inch height is suitable for side, back, or stomach sleepers
- Hypoallergenic cover is removable and machine washable
- Made with Open-Cell Memory Foam technology
- May find it has a strong chemical smell
9. Sleep Innovations Reversible Gel Memory Foam
The Sleep Innovations Reversible Gel Memory Pillow is made to offer the best custom fit for your body’s needs. Inside, the memory foam used is manufactured to be adaptable and offer the most flexible cooling pillow on the market. The cooling gel memory foam side reacts to the warmth of your neck and head and circulates the heat away from your skin. It’s a memory foam and gel pillow with the options you need to match your climate or sleeping conditions.
Take this reversible gel memory foam pillow on trips when a hotel may not have pillows you can be comfortable with, keep one in your RV to be sure you always have a good night’s sleep, and take it camping to enjoy the outdoors. This is the best pillow for night sweats and helps you to sleep without waking up to a wet sweaty pillow during the night. Enjoy this pillow whether you need to be warm or cool!
- This pillow has memory foam on one side and cooling gel memory foam on the other
- Aligns your head and neck for a deep, restful sleep
- Provides a medium density firmness
- Long lasting and durable design
- Soft, removable cover for machine washing
- Does not hold its loft long enough
10. ViscoSoft ARCTIC GEL CONTOUR Pillow – Cooling Gel
There’s nothing more important than how much sleep you get each night and how restful that sleep is. People look for the best pillow to keep their head cool when night sweats create interrupted sleep. The misery of waking up sweaty and hot and having a pillow that offers little support will cause sleep deprivation and ultimately, health issues. The ViscoSoft Hypoallergenic Memory Foam Arctic Gel Contour Pillow offers WaveFlow Gel Technology that gives you the most benefits to conduct heat away from your body. The gel side of this pillow allows you to sleep with refreshingly cool temperatures around your neck and head.
The pillowcase is constructed with CoolMax fabric that breathes and absorbs moisture from your skin, making it a superior option over plain cotton covers. CoolMax fabric contains the elements that make it a ‘Wick-Away’ fabric; keeping you dry all night. Memory foam allows you to automatically lie down and let the pillow do all the work, supporting your head and neck so that your muscles relax and sleep is more restful. The cover is removable and machine washable.
- This gel cool pillow offers WaveFlow Gel Technology taking heat away from your body
- The pillowcase is made with CoolMax fabric that wicks away moisture from your skin
- Pillow is hypoallergenic to prevent allergens and dust
- Pillowcase is machine washable
- Relieves symptoms of night sweats and automatically supports your neck and head
- Pillow may have a strong odor that lingers
Types of Cooling Pillows
Choosing of a cooling pillow should be done carefully though. It should come with orthopedic support and be comfortable for both your neck and head. Cooling pillows contain a filling of small beads that are meant for absorbing the heat, leaving the part of the pillow that is in contact with your face cool.
There are different types of cooling pillows that have varying techniques and materials. In order for you to be able to choose the best cooling pillow here is a list of best cooling pillows reviews where you can find the highest quality brands of cooling pillows with minute details as well as get acquainted with the types of cooling pillows.
It’s important to mention the highly-innovative and comfortable memory foam pillows. First of let’s understand the concept of memory foam. To put it in a nutshell, memory foam is a specific kind of material which is sensitive to temperature and pressure. The latter cause the memory foam to form its shape and mold according to the conditions they provide.
Due to the foam, a mold is formed around the shape of your head, neck, shoulders, ears and any other part of body which the foam is in contact with. As the most widely used type of foam should be mentioned polyurethane, or viscoelastic foam. Another type comprises in it a portion of gel and this type of memory foam pillow is comparatively more expensive. Among its effective features should be mentioned the ability to provide less heat retention resulting in a cooler sleep. Assuming from the above mentioned, we can also classify certain types of memory foam pillows into the subgroups of cooling pillows.
Cooling memory foam pillows combine both comfort from the aspect of style and the body position and of course, they are pillows that stay cool. So, they, despite being a bit more expensive, would be a great choice for those who have lost their sleep because of hot weather.
Memory foam pillows come in a variety of shapes and styles and the selection between them is a matter of individual needs and demands. Check out some of the commonly known styles of memory foam pillows below:
- Contour: This would be a great choice with people with neck pain and those who sleep on their back.
- Shredded: This type of memory foam pillow would be good for all sleeping positions. They comprise a great number of small shreds of foam pieces (hence the name) as a filling thus resulting in a more breathable nature of the pillow and reducing the unpleasant feeling of heat.
- Wedge: Shaped like a giant triangle with a slope, this memory foam pillow is good for people with respiratory problems, acid reflux or sinus issues. Wedge pillows create great comfort for pregnant women as well.
- Traditional: You can also buy traditionally shaped memory foam pillows and retaining the old-school style of pillows get the advantageous features of memory foam.
Memory foam pillows are:
- Painkillers: They will help you release yourself from neck, shoulder and back pain.
- Hypoallergenic: If you have some kind of allergy, or suffer from asthma, then due to the special properties of the foam, the above mentioned issues will bother you less frequently.
- Hygienic: They are machine washable and easy to clean. However, read the instructions before putting them into the washer.
There are some other types of pillows too which are to be mentioned here:
- Latex: Being the most solid type of pillow, latex pillows resist mold and dust mites and will also support your neck and back.
- Wool/Cotton: These are anti-allergic pillows and like the previous one will be able to resist mold and dust mites, but again are not that soft.
- Down/Feather: These pillows are soft and enable you to move the stuffing and position it according to your needs.
How Long Can a Cooling Pillow Stay Cool?
Most pillows made to help your neck and head remain cool at night, provide enough heat reflection to ward off sweating. Once your body is cooled, it’s easier for your pillow to dissipate any additional heat. And removing the heat eliminates the sweating. Look into the best cooling pillow for night sweat reviews here and decide which may help you the most. Then, purchase your ultimate choice for a pillow that will give you a cool and dry night’s sleep!