In this article we discuss the ups and downs of using a floor mattress, and for those looking to purchase a new one we have included a quick comparison and reviews of the top 10 best floor mattress for you to consider.
Normally, most people use mattresses on some kind of base, platform or foundation, collectively referred to as their bed. However, what if you want to place your mattress on the floor instead? There are many scenarios where this may be required. It might be that you have a few extra guests in your home, or perhaps you haven’t bought a traditional platform or box spring yet. Some people simply like to be lower down to the ground as opposed to raised. In these situations, converting your traditional bed into a floor mattress might seem a good idea. However, surely it can’t be as simple as that right?
Table of Contents
- Top 10 Best Japanes Floor Mattress Reviews – Top Picks
- D&D Futon Furniture Traditional Japanese Floor Futon Mattresses
- 2. Milliard 6-Inch Memory Foam Tri-fold Mattress
- 3. Tatami Floor Mat- Japanese Bed – 3″ Single Size (3″x27″x80″)
- 4. LUCID 4 Inch Folding Mattress – Queen Size
- 5. Leewadee Roll Up Thai Mattress, 79x30x2 inches
- 6. LUCID 4 Inch Folding Mattress and Sofa
- 7. EMOOR Japanese Traditional Futon Mattress
- 8. Sproutwise Kids – Folding Pack n Play
- 9. Best Price Mattress Tri-Fold Memory Foam Mattress
- 10. Tatami Floor Mat – 54″Wx80″Lx3″H Full Size Japanese Mattress
- Types Of Floor Mattress
- Sleeping on A Floor Mattress? Pros and Cons
Top 10 Best Japanes Floor Mattress Reviews – Top Picks
D&D Futon Furniture Traditional Japanese Floor Futon Mattresses
If you are looking for something compact and easy to move around then going for the D&D Futon Furniture Traditional Japanese Floor Futon Mattress will be a great option for you. This traditional Japanese mattress is easy to store, very portable and extremely lightweight! Moreover, you can use it for other functions like yoga and massage if not just sleeping and lounging around. At only 14 pounds you can even carry it on your day hikes and use it to lounge over during picnics.
Perfect layering: The D&D Futon Furniture Traditional Japanese Floor Futon Mattress consists of three layers which perfectly embodies your structure and holds it upright without letting you feel the intense hardness of the floor. Other than the white cotton filling that provides softness, there is a foam layer as well as a polyester layer. The combination of these layers makes the mattress soft and fluffy all the while lightweight and easy to move around.
Multiple uses: If you’re not sleeping on your D&D Futon Furniture Traditional Japanese Floor Futon Mattress, you can easily store it away by rolling it into a compact position. However, other than that, you can also just use it for other activities like yoga, camping and massage as well. It is also a great option for when your kids have sleepovers and you are out of adequate bedding.
User convenience: Keeping multiple full size beds is never an option. However, having a bunch of portable, compact mattresses in storage is always a great idea especially when you have guests visiting or a friend crashing at your place last minute. The D&D Futon Furniture Traditional Japanese Floor Futon Mattress can be easily folded and put away when not in use. Its lightweight makes it easier to move around, and the black color hides any stains that the mattress may get over the years.
- Lightweight and portable making it easier to store when not in use.
- Have multiple uses other than just sleeping on it such as camping, yoga, massages and many more.
- On 14 pounds so can be carried with you wherever you go. For example during hikes.
- Need to regularly turn and air so that unnecessary moisture does not get absorbed
- May not be the most comfortable option for people that don’t like firm cushioning provided by a cotton padded mattress.
2. Milliard 6-Inch Memory Foam Tri-fold Mattress
This popular tri fold mattress from Milliard allows users to pack and unpack easily and efficiently. Perfect for small living spaces such as small apartments and mobile homes, it allows users to save space whilst getting a good nights sleep. It is also great for temporary sleeping accommodation posing as a spare bed for guests indoors, or even outdoors on short vacations away where an extra bed is required. The Milliard 6 Inch is filled with CertiPUR-US certified high density memory foam, which provides the orthopedic and therapeutic properties of a typical memory foam mattress but at a fraction of the price and with the added benefits of being portable. Available in Twin, Full and Queen, it comes with a non slip bottom which makes it the perfect folding foam mattress for floors, and with the washable bamboo cover you can’t really ask for much more at this price.
3. Tatami Floor Mat- Japanese Bed – 3″ Single Size (3″x27″x80″)
You have to praise the Japanese for their conveniently living styles. The 3″ Single Size (3″x27″x80″) Tatami Floor Mat- Japanese Bed is a compact, portable single sized bed that can be used for many other purposes than just sleeping on. Customers have purchased this product to take along on camping trips, picnics or even keep around for kids play time. The convenient cable ties allow users to easily wrap up the mattress when it’s not in use and store it away. Moreover, it has a convenient design which makes it a great fit in any environment that it is placed in.
Polyester cover: The 100% polyester cover is silky and smooth. It adds to the overall softness of the mattress and can be Spot washed only which means you don’t have to immerse the whole mattress in water just to get rid of a number of stains. Spot cleaning is very convenient especially because it entails only a short part getting wet which means easy and fast drying. Moreover, the polyester cover is very durable and protects the mattress from wear and tear.
Filling material: The 3″ Single Size (3″x27″x80″) Tatami Floor Mat- Japanese Bed is predominantly made out of soft cotton which makes it easy to roll and store away. However the manufacturers have also added a second layer of foam which adds to the mattress’s comfort levels and helps keep the body upright without experience the hardness of the floor.
Convenience at its best!: The cable ties that come with the mattress help the user easily and tightly secure the mattress after rolling it up for storage purposes. The cable ties are make out of the same polyester material with strong holding seams which means you don’t have to worry about the strings getting losing and unlatching themselves from the mattress. Moreover, the mattress is a great addition to your household as it not only saves you the trouble of blowing up an air mattress but also makes sure that your guests are not left unattended to.
- Multiple uses; from sleeping to napping or just using for play time
- Can be spread in any space; the size is very convenient.
- Can be easily spot washed without washing the whole mattress and waiting for it to dry up completely.
- Some complaints regarding the mattress’s thickness have been made where customers complained that the mattress is not even an inch thick.
4. LUCID 4 Inch Folding Mattress – Queen Size
Available in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Full XL and Queen, the hugely popular LUCID 4 inch portable folding foam mattress with fitted handles is perfect for cabins, camp sites or even for the minimalist home. It’s the perfect indoor and outdoor sleep companion that can be used as a great alternative to a typical sofa or traditional bed. Simply use as a sofa during the day, and a bed by night. Leave out, or pack away easily. Unlike other products that are hard to maintain, it has a removable and washable zippered fabric cover. It also makes use of CertiPUR-US foam which carries antibacterial properties and is resistant to dust and mites.
5. Leewadee Roll Up Thai Mattress, 79x30x2 inches
The Leewadee Roll up Thai Mattress is a great alternative to the regularly found machine stitched mattresses in the market today. This Thai style mattress is completely hand made from natural materials which makes it highly breathable and very versatile. The mattress is stuffed with Kapok which is natural cotton like fabric that comes from the kapok trees. The Leewadee Roll up Thai Mattress is the perfect amalgamation of traditional and robust mattress that can be used for a number of reasons other than just sleeping.
Made from natural materials: The Leewadee Roll up Thai Mattress is hand stuffed with kapok which is natural cotton like fabric that comes from the Kapok trees. The natural properties of this stuffing make this mattress where versatile and breathable along with reducing the chances of mold and mildew forming due to moisture accumulation. Moreover, the outer cover is also made from natural material which adds to the overall comfort of the mattress. Also, the design is very traditional and looks amazing anywhere it is kept.
Multiple usages: Even though the Leewadee Roll up Thai Mattress is filled with Kapok which is a taken from a tropical tree, it doesn’t limit the mattress’s uses. In fact it can be used for a number of activities from lying down, napping to yoga and massages. After usage it can be easily rolled and packed to keep away.
Extremely durable: All the Leewadee Roll up Thai Mattresses is double stitched to add to their longevity and durability. The kapok material is also known for its durable and robust properties most likely because of its natural component. However the material has been in use for a long time which means that its strength and stability has been well tested by numerous people already.
- Completely handmade and can be used for multiple uses.
- Double stitched to add to its overall strength.
- Solid and comfortable padding which doesn’t compromise on its longevity.
- Complaints regarding a few loose threads in some areas of the mattress
- Sizes may vary based on the color of the mattress.
6. LUCID 4 Inch Folding Mattress and Sofa
Many homes today are all about multi-functionality. The LUCID 4 inch folding mattress is a dual purpose item that can serve both as a chair bed a portable mattress which can be placed directly on the floor without the need for a base or platform. It is a great item for different purposes especially for a minimalist interior. There’s no longer a need to have an extra guest bed in place, simply have one of these packed away or set out as a chair bed. Alternatively use it for camping trips and RV trailers. Being made of gel infused memory foam promotes maximum support and comfort, and the compactness suits for small apartments or as a convenient guest mattress. It is also super light and easy to transport due to the fitted handles which is great for traveling. The foam is CertiPUR-US certified, which means it’s a stand out item in terms of performance, and environmental stewardship. It comes with a 5 year warranty, available in Twin, Full, Queen and King, making it quite possibly the best folding mattress in its price range. You can check out sleeper sofa here.
7. EMOOR Japanese Traditional Futon Mattress
No one can make an authentic futon like the Emoor Company does. This company manufactures in Japan which means there’s no compromising on quality or authenticity. Moreover, it’s very lightweight and airy which makes it easy to carry around and relocate whenever need be. The futon its self is not very thick but even at 3 inches it’s dense enough to keep you sleeping off the floor. Because of its width it can also be easily be used as a mattress top. Also, the stuffing is antibacterial which means there are very less chances of any mold or dust mites getting formed.
Teijin material stuffing: The Japanese really do understand their futons better than anyone. Since a futon in japan is usually used as a bed mattress put directly on the floor, the Japanese have made sure to stuff it with a material which is not only anti-bacterial but also very airy hence keeping dust mites and other allergens away from it. Also the filling is deodorized which means no foul smelling odor to disturb you during your usage.
Outer fabric: The outer layer of the mattress is made from a hygroscopic cotton fabric which is known to absorb enough humidity from its surrounding to make the surface feel soft and soothing rather than stiff and hard. If the humidity level of the fabric increases, it will automatically evaporate the extra moisture in order to maintain equilibrium so that the water retention doesn’t lead to excessive heat generation and eventually making it very uncomfortable for the individual.
Multi usage: A futon is not just built to be used as a floor mattress but actually has many uses. For example, its lightweight means you can easily take it with you on outdoor trips such as hiking and camping. People have also claimed to use it for picnics in their backyards or allow the kids to play on it. Moreover, since its width is not a lot, it can also be spread over an actual bed mattress to act as a mattress cover.
- The Teijin material is anti-bacterial and deodorized.
- Can be used for multiple purposes like putting on a bed mattress or using it for outdoor picnics.
- When not in use, can be easily folded and put away without worrying about mold forming or dust mites taking over.
- Some might find it a bit firm.
- Complaints regarding the mattress not inflating to a full 3 inches have also been made.
8. Sproutwise Kids – Folding Pack n Play
If you are conscious about helping the environment and ensuring your family’s health, this foldable mattress is the right one for your children. Made of organic materials, babies are guaranteed safe when they use this product considering it meets Federal flammability standards. The Folding Pack n Play mattress is known for its comfortable design that makes use of natural latex foam to support the spine. Combined with the removable and washable bamboo cover, this hypoallergenic product is claimed to fit in most pack n plays. If it doesn’t fit yours, or perhaps you don’t have a pack n play, simply unpack to make a great floor mattress for kids. If you’re unhappy with the product, it’s claimed they will exchange or refund the item with no questions asked. Not a bad choice for those in need of a portable baby mattress.
9. Best Price Mattress Tri-Fold Memory Foam Mattress
Unlike the other floor mattresses found in the market, this one particularly has a great feature that helps it outshine the rest. It comes with an anti-slip bottom which means the Best Price Mattress Tri-Fold Memory Foam Mattress Topper will stay firmly on any surface you place it and not slip around a create disturbance for the user. Moreover, its portable properties make it a great option to be used in the outdoors or even at home for guests.Containing a memory foam layer adds to the overall comfort of this floor mattress.
Great layering: The Best Price Mattress Tri-Fold Memory Foam Mattress Topper comes with two foam layers to make this mattress experience wonderful in any situation that it is put in. the 1.5 inches of memory foam put over the 2.5 inches of high density foam makes a great powerful combination that works wonders. When used for sleeping purposes the user will notice that the mattress embraces the body very comfortably and contours easily over the pressure points without dipping in.
User convenience: The tri fold feature allows for easy storage or even works well as a floor cushion to lounge on. You can also use it as a back cushion in case you are lounging on the floor and need a soft back support. Moreover, it is very lightweight which means that you can also move it around at your convenience. Its portable nature allows users to take it away on camping trips or even place it in RVs! Moreover, the mattress comes with an oxford bag in which you can place the mattress and take it with you or just store it. This bad helps protect the mattress from dust as well.
Removable cover: As neat as you may be, floor mattresses have a higher chance of getting dirty. Therefore the manufacturers of the Best Price Mattress Tri-Fold Memory Foam Mattress Topper ensure that you can easily remove the jacquard cover and wash it as many time as you like. The jacquard cover is very robust and sturdy which means it will not wear and tear very soon. Also, the lower part of the mattress has anti-slipping properties which means it won’t move around and cause discomfort to the user.
- Removable jacquard covers for easy washing and replacing. There is also a hidden zipper that allows for the cover to come off easily.
- Oxford bag protects the mattress from any dust forming when put away for storage purposes.
- Can be used for a number of purposes other than accommodating guests only.
- Needs to left for a while so that it can inflate to its original size.
10. Tatami Floor Mat – 54″Wx80″Lx3″H Full Size Japanese Mattress
If there is one thing that we love about the Japanese is there fine quality tatami floor mats! These are some really comfy floor mattresses that can be easily folded ad put away once the job is done! The material is polyester which keeps its light and airy along maintaining temperature. The inside contains predominantly cotton but with a layer of foam in the middle that adds extra support to the individual’s overall weight and holds the posture upright.
Can be spot washed: The 54″Wx80″Lx3″H Full Size Japanese Mattress- Tatami Floor Mat requires only spot washing in case of any stains. This means you don’t have to wet the whole mattress and wait for it to dry out! Spot washing is also convenient especially when you have kids! Moreover, washing the whole mattress often leads to disfiguring it or loosening its seams, something which the 54″Wx80″Lx3″H Full Size Japanese Mattress- Tatami Floor Mat will always stay safe from.
Polyester cover: A polyester cover adds to the softness and smoothness of the floor mattress. It also makes sure that no odors or moisture gets trapped which would otherwise attract dust mites! Also, the polyester cover means that the floor mattress is compatible to be used as an alternate to other options like a yoga mat or even a massage bed!
Secure tying option: Tatami Floor Mat is an on the go kind of floor mattress that you can easily store away when not in use. The ties included with the mattress help hold the mattress in a compact and tight position when you role it to put away. More over the ties are made with optimum sewing technology which guarantees that the ties will not break off anytime during the long life of the mattress.
- Can be easily spot washed.
- The mattress consists of a foam layer which provides extra support to the individuals body frame
- Can be used for multiple functions for example like a yoga mat or a massage bed.
- Since it has no washing option, chances are the mattresses can get dirty and cannot be cleaned via spot washing.
Types Of Floor Mattress
There are two main types of floor mattress, which we discuss below:
Often also known as a Tri Fold mattress, the most common type that works best on the floor is a folding mattress. These are usually small (Queen size and under), lightweight, portable, and much less expensive than a traditional full size version. They are great for guests who come visiting and are generally small and easy enough to take along on excursions too. These do not need a base or platform and some have a non-slip bottom too, but, work very well with a folding bed especially if the dimensions of the fold match. Some are also designed to double up as a chair bed which is great for student accommodation and kids rooms. These usually consist of some type of foam, however when it comes to choosing the best mattress, popular options are usually memory foam.
Roll Up Mattress
Also known as a Japanese bed, tatami floor mat or roll up mattress, these are similar to a foldable mattress, however they can be rolled away neatly. Although they can also be folded, and resemble more of a flat quilt like nature as opposed to the tri fold design mentioned above. They cannot be used as a chair bed either, but are compatible with folding beds and futons. These are more like oversized mattress pads and can even serve as a topper if required, but are generally more compact and lightweight than a tri fold mattress. These will most likely be made of cotton, polyester, and sometimes are combined with thin layers of foam for added comfort.
Sleeping on A Floor Mattress? Pros and Cons
- The main pro for ditching your raised bed and sleeping on the ground is improved overall blood circulation in your entire body. Plenty of health benefits include less neck and back pain. These are similar benefits reported by people who don’t sleep with a pillow. People who sleep on a mattress directly on the floor also have a significantly less risk of scoliosis, a medical condition where the spine has an unnatural curve. Most people who started sleeping on the ground reported overall improvement and disappearance of any type of back pain and some report that it also benefits relieving their joint pain.
- Your body is perfectly aligned in a natural posture during sleep. Without any additional cushioning the body will adapt and distribute pressure all around the mattress surface area. This way there will be no pain in the back and neck. Blood flow doesn’t get obstructed, and thus the muscles and tissue get the optimal amount of circulation.
- Being near the floor gives you access to a cooler air that will feel good and do wonders for your sleep. The increase in body temperature accounts for most of the restless sleeping and waking in the middle of the night. Cooler air will prevent you from sweating during the night and it will also benefit your respiratory system and improve your overall blood flow. If you are “sleeping hot” check our recommendations for cooling mattresses.
- It will induce the sense of change and get rid of the old way of doing. This is a powerful motivational change and it will do wonders for your career as well as your life as a whole. You can read some firsthand experiences here and here to find out from other people how the change to sleeping on the floor affected them in a positive way.
The most apparent disadvantage of sleeping on the ground would be exposed to dust that accumulates on the ground. Regular cleaning is a must to prevent respiratory problems and allergic reactions. Inhaling dust and other dirt particles can leave a permanent mark on your health. This can be avoided by raising your mattress a little above the floor surface, although we still suggest that you clean your floor as frequently as you can.
When there is no adequate airflow, given that the mattress is placed directly on the floor, excessive heat and sweat of the human body can cause the mattress to trap all that heat and liquid and form a layer of mold inside of it. Mold can cause serious allergic reactions – not to mention the bad odor that will render your mattress useless and ready to be thrown away.
Another gross issue can be that of bed bugs settling in and making your mattress their new home. This problem can even get worse since they can multiply and spread inside the mattress very fast. Again, raising the bed slightly above the floor can prevent this as long as none of the bedding doesn’t hang or touch the floor at any given time. You could also use encasements to protect your mattress if you are not home for extended period of time.
Cold can cause you illness and a permanent health risk if you are sleeping on the ground when the outside conditions are near freezing. Resting on a too cold surface can cause more harm than good! While it is pleasant to sleep on the floor in warmer climates, doing the same when it is cold can pose a serious health risk. Breathing in the extremely cold air will cause harm to your lungs and it will constrict your blood flow and possibly cause hypothermia.
People who only sleep on one of their sides will not be able to adapt to this way of sleeping. The increased pressure to the mattress on the floor will cause severe discomfort in the hips and shoulders and make a good night’s rest impossible. Sleeping on the mattress on the floor works best for people who sleep on their back and stomach.
The best floor mattress of 2018 to you is the one you choose! You can use our list or our Buyer’s Guide to assist you in your choice, but ultimately that choice is yours. You can base it on price, type (folding or rolling) or how it is constructed.
However, the best way to choose a floor mattress is to use the factors that are most important to you. These may be related to dimensions when flat and made ready for transport or storage, to the way the mattress is constructed or what you are using it for. Choose what is most important to you, and check out what is available that meets your criteria. Compare your short-list and then select the one you like best. Job done!