So you have been planning to get rid of that old, sagging mattress, but you feel like you haven’t saved enough money for a new one? Dreamfoam Bedding, one of the best mattress manufacturers in the industry, do offer Arctic Dreams 10 Inch Cooling Gel Mattress at a highly competitive price, and you might just be able to afford it.
This 10” mattress is highly breathable and always stays cool throughout the night. It reduces pressure point build-up and keeps your spine in proper alignment to prevent sleep caused pains and aches. Furthermore, its medium firm, which makes it perfect for a majority of sleepers, (including you). Continue reading to learn more about this fantastic mattress.
Table of Contents
Construction of Arctic Dreams 10″ Cooling Gel Mattress
The Arctic Dreams mattress is a 10″ mattress built from 3 separate layers.
- Top layer (padding + comfort) – 0.75″ of super soft foam. This foam provides a degree of softness upon initial contact with the mattress and provides the pressure relief for the sleeper.
- Middle layer (comfort + support) – 3″ of Energex gel foam. Energex acts similar to latex, providing the bounce, comfort, cooling, and overall good support for the sleeper.
- Bottom layer (foundation) – 6.25″ of support foam. The bottom layer acts as the support for the top layers as well as the foundational base for the mattress as a whole. It also provides a certain degree of deep compression support for heavier sleepers.
The cover of the Arctic Dreams mattress consists of a blended cotton and a stretch polyester fabric. The combination of these materials makes for a soft, stretchy, and breathable cover. Adding a nice degree of softness to the cover is a layer super soft foam quilted within the cover itself.
From an aesthetic standpoint, the cover of the Arctic Dreams is fairly basic. An all white design is capped off with a blue trim around the seams of the top and bottom portions of the cover. Brooklyn Bedding probably went with the more basic design in order to further reduce the price of the mattress. All in all, it’s a simple cover, but seems to be well made.
Firmness, Feel, & Support
The Arctic Dreams mattress strikes that medium feel, coming in at a 5 out of 10 on the firmness scale, where 10 is the most firm.
First and foremost, the feel of the Arctic Dreams mattress is quite nice. A majority of foam mattresses I have tested tend to skip right over that medium level of firmness. Typically, I see mattresses landing closer to that 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale. This mattress is an exception. As you lie down on the Arctic Dreams, you’re greeted with a layer of super soft quilted foam. This layer of foam is not thick (0.75″), but does provide a good level of pressure relief.
Backing this super soft foam is a thicker layer of Energex foam. Energex foam is interesting. Energex shares many of the same qualities as latex foam. There was a pronounced level of sinkage, but without that “stuck” or “trapped” feeling. Instead, the Energex foam is able to respond quickly.
Although this mattress is a tad bit softer than most, the support is still pretty good. As a stomach sleeper, it may have been a touch to soft, creating somewhat of an awkward angle on my lower back. That said, I still slept reasonably well on my stomach. The angle was not so severe that I was in pain. As I rolled over to my side and back, I did feel as if the mattress offered better support in these positions. Not to mention, the pressure relief in all of these positions was better than expected.
The comfort layers were dense enough to support me and soft enough to relieve my joints of any pressure my body tried to create with the mattress. Something to keep in mind with this mattress, body type and weight are going to affect the support of this mattress. At 140 pounds I was experiencing a good amount of sinkage. As weight increases, so will sinkage. With a slightly softer feel, the increased level of sinkage could result in a lack of support.
Brooklyn Bedding recommends sleepers be 230 pounds or less to get optimal support, personally, I think this number should be a bit closer to 200 pounds. Otherwise the level of sinkage in combination with the thickness of comfort materials just isn’t adequate to provide good support, in my opinion.
Next up, let’s talk about the bounce and cooling on the Arctic Dreams mattress. The bounce was not as good as you’d see with a coil or latex mattress, but it’s a good step up from traditional memory foam. The Energex foam does a great job of responding to pressure, helping to round out the bounce for this mattress. The super soft quilted cover and overall medium feel of this mattress negates a bit of the bounce I would have expected to see with an Energex comfort layer.
Regarding cooling, the Arctic Dreams does a pretty good job as well. The foams used in this mattress don’t retain heat the same way that other more traditional visco elastic memory foams would.
The one flaw I found with the Arctic Dreams mattress was the edge support. Unfortunately, it is somewhat expected with a low cost, softer mattress. If you’re someone who likes to sleep closer to the edge, or tends to use the edge for daily / amorous activities, this mattress isn’t a good fit. The edges collapse under pressure.
All in all, I’m a fan of the Arctic Dreams mattress. While there are some definite negatives in terms of edge support, deep compression support, and weight limit, it’s a surprisingly good performer at this price point. If budget is super tight it’s hard to get much better performance or value out of your $300.
All mattress reviews on Coophomegood go through a short series of sinkage tests. These tests are deigned to provide you with insight on how the mattress will perform under various conditions.
- Lying on back – while lying on my back with all of my weight spread evenly across the mattress, I saw 1.5-2.5″ of sinkage.
- Lying on side – as I rolled over to my side, I saw 1.5-3″ of sinkage.
- Sitting on the edge (conservative) – while sitting on the edge with my butt slightly back on the mattress, I saw 4″ of sinkage.
- Sitting on the edge (aggressive) – in a more aggressive sitting position with all of my weight directly on the edge, I saw 6″ of sinkage.
- Standing in the middle – with all of my weight at one point on the mattress, I saw 6-7″ of sinkage.
Keep in mind, sinkage results may vary based on body weight and body type. As a reference point, I weigh 140 pounds.
- Made in the USA with quality foam materials.
- Affordably priced.
- Eliminates motion disturbance.
- Doesn’t retain body heat.
- Compressed in a box for easy shipping and setup.
- A variety of sizes to choose from.
- You can’t try the mattress before you can place your order.
Who should buy the Arctic Dreams mattress?
I would recommend the Arctic Dreams mattress to sleepers who:
- Want a medium feel – the Arctic Dreams mattress lands at a 5 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the most firm. This mattress strikes a nice medium feel.
- Want a foam mattress – made from 3 separate layers of foam, you’ll want to be sure you’re a fan of a deeper sinkage and hug. The hug isn’t overly sharp in the same way that memory foam is, but it does create a bit more an enveloped and hugged feel.
- Want a great price point – at $290 for a Queen, the Arctic Dreams mattress is a great option for the sleeper who’s looking to buy a new mattress, but is on a tighter budget or simply doesn’t want to spend a lot of money.
- Are looking to buy from a reputable company – Arctic Dreams is made by Brooklyn Bedding, which is one of the biggest and best manufacturers of online mattresses. Brooklyn Bedding has been making great mattresses for over 15 years at their Phoenix-based factory.
Dreamfoam Bedding Arctic Dreams 10-Inch Cooling Gel Mattress is one of the highly rated and most popular mattresses on Amazon. So it’s obvious that the 10” mattress is loved by many. If you are on a budget, but you would like to get a new mattress or upgrade to a bed that offers medium-firm feel, provides pressure relief, remains cool, and reduces pain, Arctic Dreams 10-Inch Cooling Gel Mattress should be your number 1 choice.