Do you know in your lovely bed, there are millions of bacteria that we can not see? Pillows, mattresses, or blankets with sweat, secretions, dampness, and dirt are a good environment for the development of bacteria and mold. In the first week, they find there are 1,5 million bacteria in every centimeter square. In the fourth week, this number is up to 5 million bacteria/ centimeter square. In another word, you will sleep with million million of bacteria in your lovely bed which leads to many diseases such as allergy, scabies, itch or even pneumonia. Therefore, cleaning your bed including pillows is an important thing that you should not forget.
However, that is not an easy problem if you have a memory foam pillow – the pillow can be not washed in water. Therefore, if you are wondering about how to wash it. The article will show you some ways to wash a memory foam pillow.
What Should You Note
Unlike other pillows, water is not a good friend of memory foam pillow. Any liquid can create a serious problem. Besides, you should also note some following tips:
– Do not use the pillow in the washer.
– Do not use the pillow in the dryer.
– Do not use hot water to clean the pillow.
– Do not use washing brush or harsh.
Even though you may know you should not bring any liquid on the bed, sometimes that can happen. To avoid this situation, you can use a product with liquid-proof pillowcase such as Coop Home Goods. However, when it happens, if you act fast, your pillow can be saved but with some small stains or scratch.
– Step 1: Remove the case of the pillow.
As soon as you spilled something, you should remove the pillowcase and soak it in a container of cool water. Check its instruction before washing to prevent staining.
– Step 2: Use a towel to soak the liquid. In this step, you need a towels or paper towel with high absorbency to soak up as much of spilled liquid as possible.
Do not scrub or rub because you can ruin the structure of pillow; use blotting motions can help you take water out and keep the pillow safe.
– Step 3: Use a moist cloth and mild detergent to dab the spill place. After soaking up excess liquid, you can dab that area with a moistened cloth or paper towel. You can also you squirt a drop or two of mild, alcohol-free dish soap onto the damp piece of cloth and blot the spill area.
Note: Do not use hot water because it can spread stains, so you should think about cool water in this situation.
Be patient and keep gently instead of scrubbing. You should consider limiting the moisture as possible to clean spill place if you do not want to buy a new one.
– Step 4: Blot and air dry the pillow. After cleaning up the spill, you can try that place by a towel. Then use a blow dryer to quicken the dry process, but remember to set it on a cool setting.
– Step 1: Dab it with water and a mild detergent. Once a stain appears, you can use little cool water and mild soap. Like Cleaning spills, every motion needs gentle to avoid the damage.
– If every attempt in the first step is unsuccessful, you need a stronger cleaner. Take an enzyme cleaner in a spray bottle and use it to remove that heavy duty odors as well as the entire pillow.
– If it is difficult for you to find an enzymatic cleaner, you can use a vinegar solution. Mix cool water, white distilled vinegar and a teaspoon of lemon juice. Spray the pillow with that mixture and wait for five minutes.
– Step 2: Blot with a damp cloth.
After five minutes, take a damp paper towel or cloth. Then, use it to remove the dirty area and gradually remove the stain.
Repeat step 1 and two until you remove all stain completely.
– Step 3: Dry the pillow. You can spend 12 to 21 hours to air dry completely or cool setting with blow dry.
# Note: How to remove odor.
Besides using a traditional method with a fabric freshener. You can also use new solution below.
– Baking soda: If your pillow smells funky, sprinkle a little baking soda on it and wait for it a day or more. Then vacuum up them up. Finally, you can put the pillowcase back on.
– Sunlight: This is one of nature method that you should not forget. If it is a warm day with lots of sunlight, it is the best time for you to take the pillow and place it in the sun. A warm breeze is very effective to remove odor.
In conclusion, these are some tips for you to clean a foam memory pillow. Hope with this article; you find the best way to wash your pillow. A clean pillow can take you to the beautiful dreams.